subtitle

Life as the textile expert at a regional history museum

Saturday, June 8, 2013

To The Future

So I'm a little behind on blogging, and today isn't going to be a long post either. But I've got some exciting things coming up. Two weekends ago I got the chance to interview an amazing Seattle fashion legend named Howard Blair. He was a designer who worked out of his home and made primarily wedding dresses and special occasion gowns for all kinds of fabulous women in this city. He talked to me for hours (which I recorded) and showed me some of his creations, so I'll probably have a couple posts about that coming up.

My birthday is also coming up, and it is my last in my twenties. Right now I'm going back and forth between being like, "Whatevs, being 30 next year is no big deal and still totally young," and "Augh so OOOOLLLLLLDDDDD." But I think this is normal. It is always exciting and scary to stare into the future and wonder what things will be like. In 1962 the Seattle Times asked Howard Blair to sketch something that he thought that women would wear living on the moon in the 21st century. Here is what he came up with:


The copy reads, "Howard Blair, Seattle designer, sketched this costume as his idea of what the well-dressed woman would wear in the year 2000. The pressurized quilted pants have an inner lining that controls temperatures. Seventy-five pound weights in the heel of each shoe will keep her feet on the ground. The cape is of blue velvet and leather."

Wow. That look is FIERCE. So next time, dear readers, you find yourself feeling apprehensive about what is to come, just think of Howard Blair. He looked into the future and saw superhero fabulousness. We should too. 

7 comments:

  1. Does anyone know how I can get ahold of Howard? He and my Mom grew up together and I would like to reconnect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there...we are neighbors or Howard...are you still looking?

      Delete
  2. Is Howard still
    Around? He made my wedding dress in 199. He also was a dear friend of my late father Roy Potter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ran into him while walking my dog this afternoon. He was walking home from the Wallingford QFC with his groceries. He’ll be 90 soon and looks pretty spry! He’s very engaging and fun to talk with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr. Howard Blair- RIP May 25, 2020. I will miss all our wonderful chats on your front porch.You were truly one in a million.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Howard was a regular at Wallingford Assistance League Thrift Shop. He brought history, laughter and support for the Assistance League. We will miss his visits!

    ReplyDelete
  6. He was only 28 when he made that drawing, quite the visionary. I have two similar drawings of his, one with the same woman in a red dress and another with her in black. And a precious photo of him when he was in his teens.

    ReplyDelete